Can you top this?
Bratwursts are German sausages typically made with pork, beef and veal. You can also find lighter versions made of chicken or turkey. They’re usually grilled, smoked, boiled or sautéed – and yes, even delivered!
The most common brat toppings are ketchup, mustard, sauerkraut, diced onions and relish. But with a brat, pretty much anything goes! Like with this recipe for a Cheesy Beer Brat with Fried Pickles, found over at Taste and See.
Or, to find a restaurant near you, simply go to bitesquad.com, type in your zip code plus the word “brat” into the search box, and a list of restaurants will come up for you to browse.
Here are some tasty toppings to look for, or execute at home.
Mix & Match
- Fried egg
- Potato chips
- Ranch dressing
- Cheese curds
- Caramelized onions
- Marinara sauce
- Bacon bits
- Caramelized pears + gorgonzola
- Buffalo sauce + blue cheese
- Pulled pork + cole slaw
- Pineapple + BBQ or Teriyaki sauce
- Cherry tomatoes + fresh mozzarella
- Jalapeños + peaches
- Mushrooms + Swiss cheese
- Pepperoni + Parmesan
- Sun-dried tomatoes + fresh basil
- Grilled bell peppers + provolone
- Broccoli + cheese sauce
- Egg salad + paprika
- Shrimp + cocktail sauce
- Greek – Tzatziki, cucumbers, kalamata olives and feta
- Sweet & sour – Sweet & sour sauce, onions, peppers and pineapple
- Mexican – Taco beef, cheddar and your fave taco toppings
- Reuben – Corned beef, kraut and Thousand Island
- Caesar – Romaine and Caesar dressing (croutons optional)
- French onion – caramelized onion and melted Gruyère
Made to Order
Confession: Those aren’t bratwursts in the image on the left – it’s hotdogs. But, seriously, the same rules apply. Because anything that would taste good on a hotdog, will taste superb on a brat!
Here’s what’s pictured, all available from Peppers & Fries in Minneapolis.
- Elote – Roasted corn salsa, sour cream, queso fresco and chili powder
- Midwest– Chili, onions and shredded cheddar
- Mac Daddy – House-made mac and cheese blended with pico de gallo
- My Thai – Pepper’s Asian garlic sauce, Sriracha coleslaw, cilantro and fresh jalapeños
- Memphis – Bacon, BBQ sauce and creamy coleslaw
- Tex-Mex -Pico de gallo, guacamole, cheddar and corn tortilla strips